31 January 2012

Choque Cultural


We arrived in Granada last Saturday. Each of us anxiously waited for our name to be called so we could finally meet our host family.  When my name was called, I realized I was going to be spending the next four months in an apartment with a quiet elderly woman.  Walking home with la senora, it hit me. So long CT! I was now in a foreign city and this random woman was speaking to me in gibberish.  I haven’t studied Spanish in two and a half years. When she asked how old I was, I accidentally told her I was 29 instead of 19.  It was miserable trying to communicate.  I hated it.

They weren’t lying when they said we were going to experience culture shock! I just kept asking myself, “What made me think this was a good idea?” I counted and re-counted how many days there were until we head home. 116 to be exact…

I thought it would take a long time to get used to things here.  BUT, even though the first night was hard, I can honestly say that everyday since I have grown to like Granada more! It’s amazing how fast we all adapted to everything.  I’m actually excited that I get to spend the next four months here!     

-Karonica

Llegamos a Granada el sábado pasado.  Cada persona se ponían nerviousa mientras esperando la llamada de su nombre así podía conocer a su nueva familia.  Cuando oí mi nombre, se dio cuenta que voy a quedarme con una señora silenciosa.  Mientras caminamos a la casa, la verdad me golpeó.  Adios CT. Estaba en una ciudad extraño y ella me estaba hablando en una lengua que a mí no existe.  Hace más que dos años que no estudio el español.  Cuando me preguntó cuantos años tengo, le dije que tengo 29 años en vez de 19.  Fue deprimente cuando traté  comunicar.  Lo detesté.

No mienten cuando dicen que vamos a conocer el choque cultural.  Me pregunté "Qué pensaba cuando decidí que este viaje sería un idea buena?"  Conté cuantos dias hasta que volvemos a hoger en EEUU.  Exactamente 116...

Pensaba que no adaptaría muy pronto.  PERO, aunque el primer noche era difícil, digo que cada día desde he aprendido gustar Granada más.  No puedo creer cómo rápido nosotros adaptamos a todos.  Estoy animada que hace 4 meses que puedo vivir aquí.

          

No comments:

Post a Comment